Monday, February 06, 2006

Nothing new on the knitting front, so I think I'll borrow an idea from another blog...

I have my daily list of reads. Laura's post today was quite interesting. It linked to another post regarding knit blogs, and how some can be intentionally/unintentionally exclusionary. Laura brought up an interesting point about blogging and what it becomes for the larger audience. It got me thinking about why I write my own blog.

I read a lot of blogs for quite a while before I started my own. I'm always rather late on the whole bandwagon thing. (Like ponchos...by the time I got the whole 'me when I was four' and 'Clint Eastwood in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' out of my head, they were passe'.)

But I digress....

Anyways...it got me thinking back to why I started my own blog. Why I dragged my little soap box out amongst hundreds of others and proceeded to speak.

I missed writing. I went to University for a number of years, and in that time, I wrote a lot of papers. In my final year of my Art History degree, I was writing about four papers a week. Even though at that time, it was the bane of my existence, when it was over, I went into writing withdrawal. I missed sitting down with my coffee and just thinking. And after I had O, I noticed it even more.

While I was making breakfast for O today, I was thinking about a book that I read a few years ago...Lucy R. Lippard's Lure of the Local. In a series of essays, she talks about people's sense of place in the world, and how we define it. A blog is your own little place in the larger community of bloggers. A virtual window into your life, or what you represent as your life.

I want my little blog to be entertaining. Maybe even tempt somebody into trying something new...not to be afraid of doing something for the first time.

Hmm...have to think about this idea a little more. Haven't had enough coffee today...

3 Comments:

Blogger jennie said...

funny you should mention 'sense of place'... this is a big big part of what I'm writing about in my dissertation and something i think about constantly -- how do we define place? how do we articulate it and reinforce it and preserve it? it's a pleasant and welcome surprise to find my intellectual world and my knitting world overlapping... I think i'll check out the Lippard book. Thank you!

Feb 6, 2006, 6:24:00 p.m.  
Blogger Dave Palmer said...

Blogging makes the knitting world a little smaller - and it seems bigger at the same time! 2500 knitters in the knitting olympics is so amazing!!

I'm glad you have a blog and choose to share a bit of your sense of place. It's welcoming.

Feb 6, 2006, 8:02:00 p.m.  
Blogger Laura said...

Kim, you articulated one of the key reasons I started a blog. I always had jobs that required me to do a lot of writing, which I absolutely love. Now, I don't do the same level of careful crafting of my writing when I am blogging, but it is writing nonetheless. I love that blogging gives me an outlet for my two favorite ways to create -- knitting and writing.

Feb 8, 2006, 3:58:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me? Blog Directory - Blogged