Friday, March 10, 2006

All better now...

I just have a bit of a cough left, but now, I fear that O is getting sick. It's amazing that she held off for as long as she did, but when two-thirds of the household is sick, the odds are stacked against you.

I had an amazing weekend...it's hard to believe that it's Friday again. In the past, I've gone to Sew Expo for only Saturday, but this year, I really went for the royal treatment and went for two days. I think it worked out better, because there's so much to see and do, you need more than one day. I scheduled Saturday as my heavy class day. I started at 8:30 and went straight through to 4:30. The sewing class offerings include quilting, machine embroidery, embellishments (beading and such), and garment sewing. There's also a few knitting classes, but I didn't take any of those. I stick with primarily garment sewing, and I took one on beading, and one on hand smocking.

Sunday was shopping day, and whoa....could you drop a bundle. Fabric....yarn....buttons....nifty gadgets...and more books than you can imagine.

Another thing that I love are the fashion shows, especially the one from Pacific Fabrics (a local retailer)...they have an incredible show every year showcasing garments that are both sewn and knitted. And, they even sell beads, so if you want to make your own jewelry to go with your outfit, you can. It's one of my favourite stores...a fabric store with extensive yarn and bead sections...


I picked up Louisa Harding's Beachcomber book...I especially liked the Drifter pattern, as seen to the right. There's a lot of really nice patterns in the book. Very simple lines...the yarn is the focus.

On Sunday, I went to a few more fashion shows. It amazed me this year the number of young girls who were attending with their moms. It's nice to see. Anyways, there was one mom and her daughter in the front row of the fashion show, and the girl (who couldn't have been more than eight or nine), had her program in front of her, taking notes (!) on it as the outfits came down the runway.

It was nice to get away for a little vacation, too. The Sheraton was nice. I had a room on the 22nd floor, overlooking the bay. I took some of the catalogues that I received during the day up to the lounge on the 26th floor to occupy me while I had dinner. I dined on duck boscaiola with risotto at a window table. It was a nice respite from my everyday life, and an awesome early birthday present.

1 Comments:

Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

The sew expo sounds like a wonderful trip. I'm glad you had such a good time.

Shelly

Mar 12, 2006, 10:27:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me? Blog Directory - Blogged