Tuesday, January 17, 2006

In lieu of one of my finished objects...


...I present to you The Totally Acrylic Shrug. I used the Girlfriend Shrug pattern from Knit and Tonic. I also made the Short Snort Tank to go with it (also found on the site). I still have some finishing things to do on it. I am not a finisher. Well, I am not a timely finisher. I'll do up a sweater, and then it'll linger with un-woven in yarn tails...or I have to pick up and knit a ribbed band. So anyways...the details on this... I used Red Heart Lustresheen. One hundred per cent acrylic. I am not usually a big acrylic fan...since it tends to pill if you look at it the wrong way, but this was surprisingly un-acrylic-y. I was even knitting with my yarn-store-owning friend, and she was surprised that it was acrylic. The pattern calls for sock yarn. At the local Ben Franklin's, they didn't have anything at that time that really called to me...so I started looking for sport weight. And I found the Lustresheen, hiding in the off-to-the-side nether region of the yarn section. The yarn version of the wrong side of the tracks, with its other acrylic cousins. But the colour was so pretty...a variegated turquoise/denim blue/light blue, and it matched the turquoise of the tank top. Plus, I didn't want to spend a huge amount of money on something that she may not wear too much.


So...since this is a sport weight yarn, I had to tinker with the number to cast on and such. Plus, it was written to be knit flat, and seamed up after...and I changed it to knitting in the round.

I also accomplished something else yesterday...O got her first 'real' haircut. Where hair from all parts of her head get cut (her last haircut, which was about two years ago, I just cut her some bangs. It took 45 minutes, and I hated how it looked.) But she did really well....she stood on her bench at the dining room table, coloured, and I proceeded to cut. Since she's never had a real haircut, it was all different lengths, and looking really scraggly. She lost quite a bit of length off the back, but now at least when it grows out more, it'll all be even. I even managed to cut in some long layers, so that it would curl up more. And, amazingly, it worked!
Ok...enough of the pictures! I thought you said if I wore this, we could go to the park?Curse this thing! I can't pull it off like all my other clothes!Um...a little help here?

She was so done with this sweater....

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

The shrug is so pretty! Some of those craft store acrylics (or mostly acrylics) can be really nice.

Hidden benefit of the Girlfriend Shrug: child cannot remove it without adult assistance. LOL!

Jan 18, 2006, 9:46:00 a.m.  
Blogger Laura said...

Also, TMO looks cute as can be with her new haircut!

Jan 18, 2006, 9:47:00 a.m.  
Blogger Dave Palmer said...

kim,

good job on the shrug. i have looked at shrug patterns so many times and thought, i am so sure, but once i saw one on a six year old ballerina, i was sold. i have a niece who is six and into ballet and gymnastics and i will bookmark that pattern, your daughter's looks great. on the list...

Jan 18, 2006, 3:33:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me? Blog Directory - Blogged