Sunday, October 01, 2006

It's the little things...

I've been thinking more and more about the idea of the big moments in life, and the little moments, and how much value you place on them. Sure, the big moments are great...the incredible trips, or the dinners in fancy restaurants...but they don't make life truly special. Or, at least, to me they don't.

I don't think it works out well when people who view life so differently come together. When one views life as getting from point A to point B in the fastest time possible, with minimal interruptions, they don't understand why the other person wants to stop, enjoy the moment, and take everything in. And vice versa. When one person is more focused on the journey than the end result, the other person can't understand why the other person has to take so long to do anything. I'm not saying that one way of living is better than the other...it's just that they sometimes don't mesh too well.

Last year, we went on vacation to San Francisco. Absolutely beautiful city. I'd have to say it's one of my favourites. We were walking around in Union Square,
and I spotted a little French cafe. I suggested that we get a coffee and sit at one of the sidewalk tables.

"Why?"

"I don't know...just to get a coffee and watch the people go by."

We sat in quiet contemplation. I watched the people wander by. The shadows on the building across the street. The birds picking at the crumbs on the sidewalk.

After five minutes of sitting, Daemond looked at me and asked, "So, how long are we supposed to sit here?"

Spending time with Olivia has really made me be more focused on enjoying the moment. Just going for a walk with her is an experience: rocks have to be kicked; ants have to be conversed with; shadows have to be danced with.

I believe that how you view the ordinary is what truly makes your life extraordinary.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

kim, it is good to stop and enjoy the small moments, especially when you must be busy with logistics and the details of moving.

is daemond a citizen of the us or canada? it seems hard for me to believe that our immigration law would not allow you to stay in the us, since it must mean separating olivia from her father.

glad you are back on the blog, i knew you would be back, just hadn't checked daily since you seemed to be away...

sarina

Oct 2, 2006, 5:51:00 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Having small children definitely helps us live in the moment. I love how a walk with Riley is much slower than I would normally take ;)

Oct 2, 2006, 6:59:00 p.m.  
Blogger kim said...

Hi Sarina...nice to see you again...

We're both Canadians, and he is the only one with a work visa, so as of 22 November, I am an illegal alien, and must leave the country.

Yeah...immigration laws are funny...


Hi Sarah...It's nice to hear from you, too...Yeah, you really get to notice a lot when you're around small kids all day. :)

Oct 2, 2006, 10:12:00 p.m.  
Blogger kim said...

Oh yeah...it's also why I couldn't work in seven years, (even with two degrees), have a Social Security Number (just a tax number, so I can be charged taxes), or a credit history...

Oct 3, 2006, 9:08:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

complicated, isn't it? i wish you all well with the many upcoming changes. they DO all have their own melancholy, as you quoted.

michael ondaatje is one of my favorites, though i liked skin of a lion and english patient best of all. i have anil's ghost by my bed but haven't been captured by it yet. a matter of timing, i suspect, so i am letting it sit.

sarina

Oct 3, 2006, 10:48:00 a.m.  
Blogger Princess Zarko said...

Good Morning Kimmie!
Well, Off to see the wizzard for me:) I will see you sometime in the next few days!
Thank you for being such a good friend to me! I know that our friendship will last a lifetime!!
See you soon!
~~Michelley

Oct 4, 2006, 8:46:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me? Blog Directory - Blogged