Friday, September 29, 2006

Friday again.

It seems like the week goes by very quickly, and once again, it is the weekend. I've been up since 5:30 this morning, and didn't fall asleep very early last night, so tonight will probably be an early one. Olivia has two new pets, and she was also up early to check on them. It took a lot of convincing that they should not sleep in her bed. She is the proud new owner of two snails: Gary and Larry. Yes, we watch Spongebob Squarepants.

In between books recommended by my therapist, I'm reading something just for myself. It's something that I haven't done for a long time, and have sorely missed. Currently, I'm reading "The Hungry Tide", by Amitav Ghosh. It's beautifully written, evoking a narrative between the past and the present. It reminds me of one of my favourite books, "Running in the Family", by Michael Ondaatje, although "Running in the Family" is more impressionistic.

I've missed my books a lot. They have sat in the garage for almost a year, still in their shipping boxes. My Mordechai Richler books that I've read and re-read..."Belling the Cat" and "Barney's Version". Tom Wolfe. Margaret Atwood. Michael Ondaatje. My collection of art history and European history books. My Nick Bantock books....the Griffin and Sabine series, which is a treasure to read: each page is a postcard, or an actual letter that you remove from its envelope. It is absolutely beautiful, and one of my absolute favourites.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, another person who knows Griffin and Sabine! Do you know how rare and far between we are? I loved the books, he did some new ones through email, but I haven't checked them out yet.

Sep 29, 2006, 5:50:00 p.m.  
Blogger kim said...

Yes, we are a rarity, aren't we...lol...most people, when I start describing it, look quite puzzled. I'll have to do a search for his newest stuff...I'd love to see how he'd interpret emailing.

Sep 29, 2006, 9:03:00 p.m.  
Blogger kim said...

Ok...obviously I got up too early this morning. The one with email correspondence is The Venetian's Wife. Which I've read... and own.

D'oh.

It's very evocative also, but I enjoyed the voyeuristic aspect of 'reading someone's mail'.

Sep 29, 2006, 10:37:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course! It's a guilty pleasure that we don't really get to indulge. :)

Sep 30, 2006, 1:56:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me? Blog Directory - Blogged